How to participate
Plant your own BEE-SAFE sanctuary, get it certified and pinned in a national sanctuaries map.
Any size planting area will be certified as long as few requirements are met:
Follow these 6 steps:
- Register with NY Bee Sanctuary by filling out the form below. Choose your participation status: INDIVIDUALS
- Plant Your Own Bee Sanctuary. Choose any size planting area available to you and follow the criteria required.
- Submit Your Annual Survey Photos
- Post to Your Social Media Accounts & Use the #Hashtags #BEESAFECERTIFIED #MYOWNBEESANCTUARY #NYBEESANCTUARYCERTIFIED
- Receive Your Stamp of Certification and supporting materials. Your sanctuary will be included on the national map.
- Watch your Sanctuary grow. WATER OFTEN!
+ Use of flowers and flowering plants beneficial to pollinators over a substantial portion of your sanctuary.
+ No pesticide, herbicide (such as Roundup), or fungicide treatments; make sure you do not buy plants or flowers pre-treated with pesticides, herbicides or fungicides.
+ Use of native plants over a substantial portion of your sanctuary.
+ No synthetic fertilizers.
+ No genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
+ Recommended minimum size of 10 - 20 square feet (But if all you have is a planter, go for it!)
+ Monthly photo of pollinators and flowers posted to NYBS social media (during active seasons).
+ Keep a garden journal to record plant, animal, and insect activity.
+ Natural composting.
+ Milkweed planting / monarch butterfly station.
+ Honey Bee hives.
+ Bumblebee houses.
+ Solitary bee houses.
+ Permaculture design.
+ Herbs, fruits, and vegetables.
+ Compost station.
+ Native birdhouses. Natural lawn / prairie.
+ Water station for pollinators.
+ Purchase a HUI to monitor your sanctuary